Mindwarp Consultancy Limited

iOS Apps for the app store

Balance Guide

Thanks for your support and for purchasing Balance Guide. If you have any questions or feature requests, please use the in-app feedback feature and please remember to re-visit the feedback system for a response. All versions.

Alternatively use our contact form

The page is now closed to comments, please see the feedback feature from the info button within the app. You can post ideas and vote on features you’d liked to see.

99 thoughts on “Balance Guide
  • Paul says:

Would be useful to be able to monitor more than one account

2 likes

• admin says:

Thanks for that Paul, we’ll put it on the To Do list, but it does look quite a big feature to implement, hmmm.

• Frank says:

Would it be possible to enter upcoming events using multiple weeks. ie every 6 weeks

• Frank says:

Would it be possible to forecast 12 months ahed

2 likes

• admin says:

Yes that should be possible, however I think rather than just add a further option for 6 weeks, it would be more flexible if an amount and days / months were added instead.

Thanks for this Frank, we’ll let you know when we’ve added this feature. Hopefully this will be in the next release.

• admin says:

We’ll look into the 12 months option, the idea behind 6 months was to keep the database small. Thanks again.

2 likes

• Kevin barrow says:

Pls advise how I can delete or modify categories
    Great app by the way
    Kev

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your question.

To delete just swipe right on the row and a delete button is shown.

Thanks.

• James says:

Does this app only track a single account? Can you track current account, credit card account and savings?

Kind regards,

James

Hi James,

Thanks for your questions.

At the moment you can only track one account.

However, this is at the top of our priority list. We are currently planning the best way to implement this feature. We hope to either have this in the next release 1.5 or in 1.6. There are several changes already developed for 1.5 which could go live now.

Have you any thoughts on how you like to see accounts working ?

Our current thinking is to have an account selection on the main screen, also with an all accounts balance. Then some sort of account maintenance in the settings screen.

Having account selection available on every page would be great, but there just isn’t the space for it.

• Kate says:

I’d love an alert 3 days or so before direct debits are due to go out.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thats a great idea!

I’ll have to look into that and see how to accomplish this. It would be cool if these would appear in the new iOS notification settings, to give a choice of how they would be shown.

Anyone following this thread, might be interested to know that in the next release, there’s going to be sorting on the bills and deposits screen, which will be saved.

Plus 12 months forecasting.

Also, I’m currently working on the multiple accounts, so far its a lot easier than I thought.

Please join our Facebook group (see the link in the app) for further updates.

Keep your suggestions coming !

I think thats all the features requested above, are going to be implement in the next version, with the exception of this new one. Which I’m keen to add

Thanks :)

• Frank says:

Would it be possible to have a minus balance turn red in the forcast

Hi Frank,

Yeah, thats another great idea. :)

Thanks.

• Frank says:

Would it be possible for the uncategorised not to be shown in the graphs

• Mike Briggs says:

Great app ! Will it be possible to backup and recover data and settings one day?

Regards
    Mike

Hi Frank, Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

Frank, do you use categories?
    I’m puzzled, if you do, then why not just give everything a category?

Mike, yes I’d like to provide a backup / restore feature at some point. How would you like to see that working ?

Cheers.

• Frank says:

Hi I do use catagories but not for every transaction

Frank

Hi Frank,

I see your point, I guess not showing certain categories on a graph would be useful to see how specific or important groups of transactions compare.

I can see how this would be useful.

Hmmm…

I wonder if it would be confuse some people if they were omitted. I guess uncategorised could imply that no category has been chosen and therefore wouldn’t appear on a category graph.

When I make a change like this, I start to consider whether this should be a setting.
    Or would it be obvious that, thats why they don’t appear on a graph.

Cheers.

• Frank says:

Hi I think if it was uncategorised you would expect it not to appear on the graph
    Frank

Hi Frank,

I agree, that will be in the next update.

If you would or anyone else would like to join the beta programme let me know.

Thanks.

• Frank says:

Would it be possible to tap on the catagories in the pie chharts and bring a list up
    Frank

Hi Frank,

Glad you joined the beta programme, theres a version available now.

Do you mean, to select what categories appear in the charts ?

That certainly won’t be in version 1.5. This version has been to long it coming to release.

Thanks.

• Frank says:

I meant when you clicked on a catagorie iin the pie chart it bought a list of the transactions in it

• admin says:

Frank, sorry for not approving your comment sooner. I’ll have to look into that see what would be possible.

• Steve says:

Admin

First well done on the app, it’s nice and simple but without loosing too much functionality, however I do think it’s really important that it has a backup function, a simple file sent to an email address would be cool. Would hate to think of someone loosing 3 mths of transactions for example, that’s the only real downside for me, but if your a dev that cares then will happily post ideas if I get them, most devs don’t answer or most probably even look at posts. Thanks again Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your praise and comments.

I’m currently in the middle of developing a backup feature using drop box.

However, I’ve been trying to zip the data. This uses a third party library which causes an error, which I’ve been unable to workaround. So I’m looking at other solution.

I’ve also been working on account transfers. I’m not sure if that will make the next release, but fingers crossed.

I’m also going to add a twitter support id.

There’s also a fix for the pin bug and broken links.

I’ve also been looking at alerts.

Watch this space.

As always happy to here all comments.

• Colin says:

Firstly great app. I’ve been looking for something like this for ages.

One suggestion: would it be possible to have a Cal Bal screen that shows the projected balance for all accounts individually totalling the total projected balance and to be able to set any date for this from the screen itself. This way I could quickly see the projected balance for all accounts in one place and be able to choose the date rather than have to look at each account individually.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your feedback, sorry its taken a while to reply.

That’s a really good idea. I’ll implement this in a future version. :)
    Hopefully this will be in the next month.

I think it will end up being a new screen, as the calc balance screen is really busy, unless I re-design it.

FYI
    Drop box integration for the backup / restore feature is complete and ready to go to beta. Just need to finish the transfer feature.

After that, I’ll be working on the alert feature.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• John says:

Hi

Good app so far, though I’m used to Microsoft Money, so getting used to reduced features. Looking forward to inter-account transfers being available.

One problem I have found – when you alter a repeating bill, and choose future transactions only, it correctly leaves the past ones as completed entries, but also leaves the start date of the repeating bill as it was, thus you get the old entries AND new entries in the past, messing up all balance info. Please have it change the start date of the new repeating transaction to be the current date.

Cheers

• John says:

Would it be possible to use the ICloud for the backup, making it importable from there by date of backup?

>Comment by Ian Moore
    >Does the balance app sync between family users?

Hi John / Ian,

Thanks for you your comments.

John,

In the past I used MS Money, so I’m quite familiar with where your coming from. If there’s features which you think would be useful let me know ?

I’ll have to look into the start date issue you mention!!

Initially, I’ve gone for Dropbox rather than iCould, but I’d also like to include a http / wifi backup feature.
    However, I will look into iCould.

Ian,

No not at present, I’m not 100% sure what you mean. I guess you mean that the data would be kept in sync between different iPhone users.

Technically speaking I guess there could be security issues as your financial data would need to be kept online. I think the only idea which would work, would be for users shared the same data account. I guess this would be possible with Dropbox, if a shared folder was created.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

I look forward to your comments and will report back where indicated.

Merry Christmas.

• Frank Stratton says:

Could you make HD for the iPad
    Frank

• admin says:

Don’t have any plans to provide an iPad version.

• Jon says:

Could you look into showing all accounts combined on the graphs, etc? Each as a separate line as well as one for all combined? Thanks.

• John says:

When editing a transaction the value changes to £1 even if you only want to change the date. Can we have it default to keep all values as they were, and only change those selected for change.

• admin says:

Thanks Jon and John, for your comments / feedback.

Jon, that’s a great idea, I’ll have to look into it, to see if I can do a combined graph.

John, that’s a bug, I’ll produce a fix, however that won’t be in the update coming around the weekend.

• Frank says:

Hi I must agree with comment made by John on the 24/12/11 about the dates when updating a transaction and would it not be better if it did not alter transactions in the past and you could alter these separetly
    Frank

• Yvonne says:

Great app. I found it really easy to use unlike similar apps I’ve used in the past. I particularly like the graphs, which are quite helpful in seeing how your finances are shaping up.

• Helen says:

I’m trying to use this to keep track of my savings account, so that I know how much I’ve got saved for holidays, insurance, car servicing etc. I’ve put them all in different categories, and added a monthly transaction paying into each category, but I can’t find a way to see the balance of each category – is this possible?

• Adalberto says:

How to print the forecastng screen?

How to export/import database to Excel?

Best wishes,

Adalberto

• TonyH says:

This is a great app! Replaces about 4 Excel spreadsheets I had.
    Would it be possible to add the capability to alter regular monthly payments each month without it messing up the past/future history/forecast.
    For example, my mobile phone bill is ABOUT £37 per month but can be up to £40. I’d like to have a line in the bills list for it that I can fill in when I know the exact amount. Thoughts?

Hi Guys,

Sorry its been a while since I approved your comments and replied.

My top priority is fixing those bugs you mentioned (Frank & John), I’ll probably release at that point.

Tony, if you select modify future transactions only, after you’ve edited a transactions, this allows future modifications, but keeps the data for the past transaction.

Following that I’m going to concentrate on providing more analysis, like a categories report.
    I’m also going to provide a feature which will allow for the forecast to be emailed, then this will be printable.
    If you really wanted access to the database use the dropbox backup feature.

As always, I’d be glad to talk about anything related to the app and the changes / features I’ve mentioned above.

• Ian S says:

Great App. Been looking for a replacement for the extinct MS Money and this is perfect.
    My only suggestion would be to print graphs and transaction lists

• JS says:

Hi

I love your app! However, it would be nice to have some improved graphs as the labels on the pie charts seem to be a bit muddled.

It isn’t clear which label belongs to which slice of the pie chart; this is because the labels sometimes overlay and are difficult to read.

As I say, well done for a great app that I use every day. If the above were improved, it would be even more impressive.

Yours

James

• TonyH says:

Still having problems with regular, variable amount payments. I altered a future payment from £4 to £10 using the ‘future only’ option but it added the £10 payment into my ‘past’ forecast along with the original £4 payment. This obviously made my balance and balance forecast £10 lower than it should be. My wife is having the same problem. Are we both doing the same thing wrong??

• Frank Stratton says:

When you try to enter a recurring transaction between accounts there is a problem
    Frank

• admin says:

Tony + Frank, these bugs have now been fixed the the latest version of Balance Guide v1.8

• Karin watts says:

I have entered my salary twice and I can’t delete it. Also, it doesn’t show in my income on the front page. Help!!

Hi Karin,

If you swipe right, you can delete a transaction.

Has the income been added before the end of the month date? The summary on the front screen only includes transactions till the end of the month, you can change that day of the month in settings.

Hope this helps!

• Karin says:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. My income doesn’t appear in Bills&Deposits so I can’t delete it. It only shows in Forecast and I can’t delete that. Is it possible for me to wipe the whole thing and start again!

Hi Karin,

Sorry not to reply straight away, I wanted to add this to the FAQ page. How to delete a transaction follow that link, it will tell you how to delete a transaction.

If you want to delete everything, just delete the app. Then, pretend your buying it again, but it won’t ask you to pay again. It will download the app again.

In case you don’t know, to delete an app, tap on the app icon and hold your finger on it. After a few seconds the app will show a cross on it. Tap that an it will delete the app and all its data.

• Jon Taylor says:

This is the best finance app around in my opinion. I would love to see the same on my mac…..
    Yours hopefully Jon

• Kate Banternghansa says:

liking ur app so far although I wish there other currency other than US Dollars

Hi Jon & Kate,

Thanks Jon.

Kate,

The currency used in the app, is the currency that’s setup for your region / country.

Or did you mean you’d like to be able to use multiple currencies in the app?

If so how would you see that working, I’d like your input.

• Karen M says:

Is it possible to set a monthly budget for something, then you could debit the actual amount when the time comes. For example, I have a £120 monthly petrol budget, it would be helpful if I could see that budget, but it only debits as and when I fill up with petrol. So I can not only track my balance but how much I have remaining for petrol, groceries etc.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your message.
    Your comments bring up some interesting points.

I like your budget idea, the problem is selecting what you include in your budget. This could be against category, but I’m not sure if this makes sense.

As transactions are just text fields there would need to a selection screen so you could add a budget against them.

Have you any further thoughts?

I certainly need to give this some further thought.

Thanks.

• Karen M says:

Thanks for such a quick response! On the app I was using previously (money smart) you set budgets seperately from your categories and then when you added a transaction you could select a budget to take that transaction from. That way you could see the money debit from both your account and budget, and see how much was remaining in that budget for the month. Does that make sense?

• admin says:

No problem, it’s nice to be able respond quickly and discuss things.

This may be a stupid question, but do you mean you could have more than one budget?

From a development point of view there would be three areas.

Firstly a new search / select transaction items, based on what you’ve entered in the past. You’d also see the last amount used, date, category and budget.

A budget selection / maintenance.

Reports / graphs etc.

I’d be pleased to discuss progress on this, interested?

Thoughts / comments.

• Karen M says:

Yes, you could have more than one budget, which you could personalise, like the categories.
    It would work so you’d set your budget for your preferred time, weekly, monthly etc, the budget would show the full amount you’d set for it, what you’d spent and what remained for your chosen time span.

I’d be happy to discuss it with you, be warned, I know nothing about apps, I just know what I’m looking for in a budget app and I haven’t found the perfect fit yet!

Cool

I must warn you that it will taken some time develop these features.

Can you give me some examples of different budgets, I mean what names you would give them. What other details would you like to see against a budget. You’ve said weekly etc. I guess it would be an on going thing?

In future I’d like to add alerts using notifications. Where you could say notify me the day before a certain transaction is due, so you make sure everything in your account is as it should be.

This could affect how things are setup now.

It’s not a problem that you don’t know the technical side, knowing what you want is very useful.

• Karen M says:

Thanks, I’ll help as much as I can! Personally I’d use budgets for groceries, petrol and maybe entertainment. I normally work those out once I know how much cash is left after my bills on a spreadsheet. As I get paid 4 weekly, I’d set the budgets for 4 weekly. Then when I did the shopping I’d add the expense as “from groceries budget”.

I think budgets would need to be as customisable as the categories.

Would it also be possible to have a quick reference to remaining money for your month? I know you can check the balance forecast, but maybe on the main page you could have acc. balance, monthly outgoings amount and then any remaining money, all on one screen?

Now you’ve got me started lol!!

• admin says:

That’s great, answers further questions and where things will be shown and how they will work.

I’ve been told that the front screen looks old fashion and that it would great to see balances of all accounts there too.

So I could have some sort of selector and the current figures would be “Summary”, then I could have accounts and budgets. With greater detail in the graphs and forecast screens.

What did you mean by customizable ?

• Karen M says:

All I mean by customisable is that you can name each budget, set how much it will be, how long that budget is for and ensure you can edit it during the month ( or whatever )

Ah ok.

So on my budget maintenance screen I guess I need to allow add / select transaction, do you reckon I need a start and end date?

Oh there’s also multiple accounts to consider, not sure how that would work, hmmm.

Any further thoughts?

• Karen M says:

I think a start and end date would be helpful, that way you can make sure your budget fits to the time you want it to.

Sorry to have given you so much to think on :)

I guess I’m just fussy with what I want from my money app!

Thanks Karen

• Nicki Lloyd says:

Hi. I share a bank account with my partner. We both have an iPhone and would both like to view the app and update it on each of our phones. Can you someone make a sync feature for between phones.

Thanks

Hi Nicki,

I like this idea.

How would like this to work?

At the moment I have drop box for backups.
    An easy option would be make the backup / restore easy, by a sync button.
    But this would mean overwriting everything, say of you had made changes and didn’t sync at the correct time, these would be lost.

A transaction by transaction sync would be quite complex and having to accept each might be conplicated too.

I think the key would be to make it simple.

There’s also when you sync, I guess the app could check to see if items had been added to Dropbox and ask if you want to sync aka overwrite.

Thoughts?

• LJS says:

This is a wonderful program. Thank you so much for sharing it. I have been looking for something to replace my spreadsheet that’s portable, and I think i may have found it. I do have a couple of questions though. Is there a way to make the forecast go further out? Maybe a year? I like to be able to see when more expensive months are coming up.
    Also, I accidentally added a bill as a credit and although I could change it in the Bills section, the Forecast still showed it as a credit (and then a bill). Is there a way to change and delete items in the forecast?
    And this one would be helpful to me, and hopefully others: is there a chance you could make a checkmark field so that users can check off when items have been paid?

Thank you so much!

Hi Ljs,

Thanks, glad you like Balance Guide!

I just double checked you can forecast for 12 months!

Can you give me some further details about the bill you changed etc? Perhaps we can email?

We can also chat about the check mark etc ?

• Steve says:

Hi, great app!

I was wondering if you could add a feature that would allow the input of an account limit when entering a starting balance. It would be useful with credit card and overdraft accounts where a value for the limit could be set to work along with todays balance of the account to show an available balance beside it on the front screen. This could possibly work across all accounts to show the all account balance as well as the all account available balance (beside it in green) also on the front screen?
    Just a thought!

Thanks

• admin says:

Yes, that’s a good idea, I was wondering a few days ago if an balance threshold would be useful.

However I hadn’t thought as far ahead as this.

I guess a threshold will need to against each account aka a different value for each account.

I know the front screen could do with a lot of work.
    It needs more summary info, like balances of each account.

Adding money available should show too. I guess there will need to be an expandable / collapsable area.
    Hmmm needs some thought.

Also a starting balance, another good idea, I guess I could add something to the account setup screen.
    I’ll have to check, but I think you’d just use correct balance and this wouldn’t show on the category graphs etc. So in effect I’d just add the balance correction to the account screen.

Hope that answered your questions?

• Malcolm says:

I have just purchased the upgrade and the correct balances doesn’t work, is this a bug that can be fixed. I want to run several accounts tanks

• admin says:

Thanks Malcom for reporting this. This will be fixed in the next release, working on it now.

• Dee says:

Hi,
    I am wanting to know If I am doing something wrong. If I try to edit a recurring bill for example, it does not give me the option of ” all future” or ” just this one”
    I want to be able to update amounts that I have predicted so that my forecast is accurate. For example, I only spent $150 on groceries not $200 this week. How do I make it reflect that ?
    Thanks

Hi Dee,

Thanks for your question.

The “all future” and “just this one” options were removed in the last version, maybe this is still mentioned in the help page, I’ll check.

If you edit a current bill and deposit, you can specify what the next forecasted transactions will be.

• Kin says:

Small bug I think. If coming straight from message/txt into Balance Guide if you have left the emoji keypad on when exiting, then when trying to add a new deposit/debit entry, you can add the description, but the value keypad is locked on emoji and you cannot get round this.

Great app though!! Thanks guy’s

Hi Kin,

I’ll look into it, but in all honesty, I don’t think it will make it into the next release

Thanks

• Cath says:

Hi , app keeps crashing when I try to check spending by category graph!! Help, it’s driving me nuts!

Hi Cath,

I can’t reproduce this problem, is there anything else you can think of which may help ?

Would you be prepared to send me your data ?
    Of course I’d keep it confidential and delete it afterward.

Thanks

• Katie says:

Would it be possible to have a check box beside the transactions in the forecast so that you could mark off cleared transactions? And then an account balance for all transactions and separately cleared transactions?

HI Katie,

Thanks for your comments / questions.

Unfortunately a forecast is just that a projection of the data in the app, it’s not data.

However, it occurs to me, that if something has cleared yesterday, it will become an ended transaction. And therefore you wouldn’t need a checkbox as it will already appear in your bank account.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood ?

• Sandra says:

If I have this app on my iPad & iPhone will they sync?

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your question.

Technically you actually mean, does Balance Guide provide iCould support. At present no it doesn’t. However it is on the wish list and I hope to add this in the near future.

Thanks.

• Patti says:

Hi I just got this last night and I want to update my current balance but when I tap the button or anywhere on that page nothing happens?
    How can I update my balance I want to be able to enter every transaction to keep tabs on my spending
    Thanks

Hi Patti,

Thanks for your question.

This is a bug, which occurs directly after the purchasing the upgrade from the free version.

There is a workaround, close Balance Guide and start it again.

Here’s a short video showing you how to do this.

How to close an app

This has been fixed and is in the queue to be reviewed by apple, should take about 11 days.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

• Katie says:

Hi, I don’t think I made myself clear about the cleared transactions…
    I’ve used a palm pilot app for years but have moved over for convenience, however what was brilliant in that app was that it would forecast but also allow you to check your balance is correct by checking off the cleared items as per your bank statement, insuring that you hadn’t missed anything and allow you to keep a check of uncleared items, eg. Cheques that have not been cashed which would give an unrealistic balance. You could check your balance WITH all payments processed and also check that your balance is correct at the time when you know certain items gave not yet cleared.
    I hope that’s clearer!

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve been thinking about this, trying to figure out how this would work.

Looking back, this is something which has been requested before.

The only issue is that a forecast, is just that, it doesn’t exist as actual data.
    There’s also the issue, once the foretasted item becomes and ended transaction.

However, if it was possible to show this actual data, then it would be easy enough to update ended transactions.

I guess the match between foretasted item and ended transaction would have to be on the date, the value and the title. However if any of these changed there wouldn’t be a match.

Or !!! Hmmm I guess you could effectively put an end date in for items you want to clear!!
    Well it would need to be a bit more advanced than that, as it would need to create a recurrence record too.
    That would work!

Sorry to ramble on :)

I’ll have to give this some more thought. However, I think a coloured indicator would be useful as well.
    My current thoughts are to make this into a customizable status, that the user could make into what they wanted. Then produce a report on that status.

There would also need to be some popup options to allow you to apply the status.

• Shaun Garrett says:

Hi great app, how do I set up different pay day dates for different current accounts ? At the moment it seems I have to have one date ? I monitor two current accounts with differing pay days

• Hilal says:

Hi,

Amazing app. Any plans for changing currency or at least the option of removing the currency symbol?

• Stefano says:

Any chance to print from Balance Guide?
    THX, Stefano

• Frank Stretton says:

Would it be possible to see entry’s by categories

• Paula Gardner says:

Great app! But is there a way once all income and expenditure have been added to filter to view all income only and all bills only?

• Ron Blindell says:

Just set app up on my iPhone and am very impressed. Has everything I was looking for to carry conveniently with me at all times. Thank you

• Shaun Garrett says:

Brilliant app and great service when I’ve had a problem ( of my own doing as it turns out !) perfect for knowing where your at financially means we can save money confidently

• Joe says:

Will there be an upgrade to accommodate checking bank statements?

• admin says:

I’ll reply to these last few questions / comments below.

However, I’m closing this blog as the latest version of Balance Guide has a new feedback system. I’ve added all the ideas which haven’t yet been added to the app to the new system.

In the new feedback system, you can vote on ideas you like and the most popular ideas will be added to the app.

Shaun, unfortunately you can’t setup different end dates for different accounts. Thanks for your later comment.

Hilal, an option to remove current and multiple currencies are both good ideas.

Stefano, printing is another good idea.

Frank, I can see filtering by categories would be useful, do you mean on the forecast or bills and deposits screen ?

Paula, filtering on income / expense could also be useful, again do you mean on the bills and deposits screen or the forecast screen or both ?

Ron, Thanks :)

Joe, I presume you mean, either some kind of checkboxes or colour coding to mark transactions on the forecast ? This has been mentioned before, there is a technical issue which would make this difficult.

Guys, I’ve added all your ideas to the new feedback system. Feel free to vote for them and add a comment. Obviously, you’ll not be able to reply here, but feel free to contact me.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments !
    Look forward to seeing you in the new feedback system!